August 6th - This is in response to a recent request by top bloke and Brum social media whizz John Hickman. This is a saddlebag vomit.
Don’t be alarmed, is a meme, or idea carried from something common elsewhere - handbag vomit/daily carry - where someone posts pictures of what they carry in their bag daily.
Here, minus personal stuff like paperwork and work junk, is what I carry daily in my saddlebag. I regard these things as essential. I suspect some folk will find them surprising.
The items are, in roughly back to front order:
- 1l flask of earl grey or chai, sugar and milk
- Sharpie marker
- Cheapo multitool thing
- 2 spare tubes for different bikes
- Apple mac network adaptor
- clean paper towels and disposable gloves for mechanicals
- Emergency sweets (milk gums) for bonks and sugar crashes
- Pack of self-ahesive patches still in blister as case is crap and they pop open
- Muji box with sheets/tubes of meds - Sudocrem, painkillers, hay fever pills etc.
- Nasal decongestant for troublesome sinuses
- Pedro’s tyre levers - the best I’ve found
- Aquapac for keeping phone dry in the wet
- 2 Rema conventional puncture kits
- Spokey spoke wrench (again, the best there is)
- Emergency work phone
- Bahco mini socket, ratchet spanner and bit set. Brilliantly useful.
- 15mm stubby spanner
- Spare camera, GoPro and GPS batteries
- Mini torch
- Memory cards and sticks in waterproof box
- Various everyday USB and charging leads on a keyring with thumb drive
- Huawei 4g mobile WiFi router with selection of SIM cards for different networks
- 7000mAH USB battery for charging phone etc.
- Google tablet (interchangeable with iPad/macbook air depending on work requirements)
- Not shown: cable ties, pager, security access cards, clean socks and about 100g of assorted detritus
The tools and survival items have evolved over years and changes of bike. Surprisingly, this lot doesn’t weigh much and leaves plenty of space for the junk of the day and shopping if necessary.
Is this the geekiest saddlebag out there? What do you lot carry?